We Still Don’t Know What to Do About Puck

It has been over a week now and Puck is still pooping and peeing outside the litter box. If you haven’t read the first part of this story, you can see it here.

It a nutshell, Puck had crystals in his urine which probably made it painful to pee. It is possible he associated that pain with the litter box but if that is the case, why did he not associate the pain with peeing on the floor? The pooping on the floor has been an ongoing issue but the peeing is new and a much bigger problem because our laminate floors are already swelling at the seams where he has peed.

We started feeding Puck a special canned food the vet sold us from Science Diet. I have read many articles about how prescription diets are not good for your pet and I heard bad things about Science Diet but the vet said this would help acidify the urine and break up the crystals. If it did that one thing, it would be worth trying.

Science Diet Urinary cat food ca

We also bought a package of pee pads that I spread around the house, especially in areas where he has already peed.

This past week has been filled with ups and downs. One day he would go 24 hours without peeing or pooping anywhere outside the box. The next day he would do both. I tried moving one of the litter boxes across the room. I thought maybe he might have suddenly developed a problem with the boxes’ location.

cats litter box

That didn’t work, so I moved it back.

One day he pooped next to the couch and peed on a pillow that was on the couch. He didn’t pee on the couch because I covered it with toys. I didn’t consider the pillow.

My wife said if he didn’t stop peeing on the floor he would find himself in a new home. She then suggested we might have to put him on Prozac because that is what her sister said might help. I said no to both. I understand Prozac might help but any long term medication is bad for the health of any cat . . . and person. I thought maybe a calming collar might be an alternative.

I read some articles online that offered some suggestions. I already tried most of them but a couple I did not know about.

I did not know that cats prefer one to two inches of litter. I usually fill it higher because it is easier to scoop if it is not stuck to the bottom. Apparently, some cats don’t like it when it is too deep. I didn’t think this was the problem since Puck never had a problem with it before but I thought every little bit counts.

A few posts said the litter should be far from their food and water but one post said it should be close. I decided far was the better choice. Our boxes are eight to nine feet from the food, Not close but no far either.

I also read the boxes should be spread out around the house and that they should be relatively private with an escape route in at least two directions. We put our boxes in one place because that is what ultimately stopped Chris from pooping on the floor. If one box was not to his liking, he could use the one next to it instead of the floor.

Rose and I went to Petco on Saturday and purchased another litter box and a calming collar, along with various other things. I put the box near Rose’s chair but on the other side of the end table. I then pulled the table out a little to offer an escape route in that direction.

cats' litter box

I then put the calming collar on Puck, which wasn’t easy. In addition, there was a big mess of white, flaky stuff that fell off the collar while I struggled with it.

cat Puck with calming llar

I was very hopeful when I went to bed and was happy to see that everything was normal when I woke up. It didn’t stay that way. About and hour later I smelled pee and found pee next to the chair, half on the pee pad and half off, where it could get under the pad and have no chance of drying It was the third time that has happened since I bought the pads. I also found poop behind Rose’s chair. It looked like Puck pulled the pad away from the wall far enough so he could poop directly on the floor. Why does he have to make things so difficult for me?

I moved the litter box behind the chair to see if that makes a difference.

cats litter box

We are planning on buying some cranberry supplements today but other than that, I don’t know what else to do.

38 thoughts on “We Still Don’t Know What to Do About Puck

1. Photofinland by Rantasalot

You have done your best, and the problem is still there. Have you thought if it is something mental, of course you have, and if it is what to do? Prozac is is not a very good solution, is that peeing and pooping a protest for something, who knows. Just thinking… I hope you will find the solution, is it something hormonal…

2. kittiesblue

We had problems with Giulietta. She gets an half of an amitriptyline every other to every third day. She started with every 24 hours but we’ve been able to extend that. She gets regular canned food but eats Hill’s Metabolic/Urinary stress dry food. We have really large litter boxes, as cats like to have enough room to turn around and to bury. They are away from food and water and spread throughout the house and catio. We haven’t had problems in ages. If you think it is from stress, the collar might help. I use them more for bullying issues around here. I don’t know how long this has been going on, but could it be because of the ferals outside. These issues are usually all about territory. Good luck.

I thought about the ferals but this problem is more recent since the ferals have been here a couple of months, I think. By the way, the TNVR guy was supposed to come this weekend but we never heard from him

3. kpaol

awww, that is very stressful… you may already know but will share what I know in case it helps? My cat’s situation is different, she had stopped peeing, but our vet said to go on urinary Hill’s Metabolic/Urinary or Science Diet Urinary also… I did research as you did and decided not to stay with those. We use Evolve Maintenance Cat Food… and she’s been doing good since… I also bought Feline pheronomes spray to calm her… not sure about the litter box situation but I did find online they don’t like citrus, so if you want to keep them from peeing on an area specific maybe use that? (citrus essential oil & water in spray bottle to spray on pillows, etc?) Are you familiar with Jackson Galaxy, My Cat From Hell? he helps cat owners and may have tips? I hope something helps! ….fellow cat lover…

Thank you. The citrus oil sounds like a good idea and I will look into Evolve. I’m sure it is probably better than Hills. My only concern about the spray is that he may just stop peeing in one place and start in another.

The Kitties Blue human has some good thoughts. I know you want to exhaust every other avenue first, but you might wind up having to do the Prozac if nothing works. It may not be the best for his health, but having him in a perpetually stressed state (which he undoubtedly is right now) would be worse.

5. 15andmeowing

First off, I hope Rose was kidding about a new home. Cats are forever. Sorry the calming collar didn’t work, ours always have all that white stuff too.Have you checked his calcium levels, there are different kinds of crystals. My Sammy has hypercalcemia and is now on that same food which regulates it. He had to have surgery last July though to remove the calcium crystals he had because thpse don’t magically disolve. Good luck, I will be praying for him. I highly recommend waterproof mattress covers on all beds and furniture.Maybe Prozac could be a short term solution for now.

1. Nicole @ Just Cats

Another idea for the mattress: Put plastic garbage bags (cut one in half to make it big) or a painter’s plastic cloth and place on top of the bed. When the cat jumps on it, they hear the crinkle of the plastic and hate it. That will deter them from using the mattress. I did this for 1 year everyday and it saved my comforter and mattress.

That might work for our sofa but we like having cats on our bed, except when we are sleeping. We often sit up and read in bed while the cats lie next to us.

Thanks. The vet did those tests and I am not sure what the results were. I just know she wanted to increase the acidity of his urine to help dissolve the crystals. We have a cover on our matress, thankfully, and I put a couple of pee pads on the sofa, under the large blanket that we were using to protect it from poop.

6. kpaol

did you try Feliway for calming? maybe you can spray citrus where you don’t want them to pee, I read about that… I read about the same thing concerning Science Diet and our cat is doing well on Evolve Maintenance Cat Food… I hope things improve for you!

7. Nicole @ Just Cats

Try an unscented litter that is not clay, maybe walnut shell or the recycled paper. It looks like you’ve tried another type of box. My cat has urinary issues and eats prescription food. The vet will need to prescribe it and since then, she has not had any issues. Also, since he is male, this is more common and I would try to do only wet food as dry food makes the issue worse. Food and water should be kept far away, I don’t know who is recommending that it be near!

Cats will pee and poop in “comfortable areas”. My cat did this on my bed and it was her way of telling me that she was sick. Went to the vet, got her on meds and she now does it only in the box. The vet told me that cats peeing or pooping outside of the litter indicates a serious health issue or the box is not clean. Finding him a new home is not a good idea. It will stress him more and honestly, could be a death sentence unless that new parent is a veterinarian!

I am not going to find Puck a new home so no worries there and I was just suggesting to my wife that I put a different litter in one of the boxes and then I read your suggestion. 🙂

Maybe different litter would help – there are litters made from all kinds of things these days…..I’m just sorry this is happening – it must be VERY discouraging….. 😦

We tried World’s Best Cat Litter a while ago but nobody would use that box. I have thought about putting something different in one box, just to see what happens. This morning I saw puck put a paw in the litter box and then he ran away, like something scared him. Perhaps something different on his feet might make a difference now.

9. Mary McNeil

I am so sorry for you two – and for poor Pucky. Maybe a covered litter box would make him feel more secure, even if you don;t see anybody jumping him that might be what he is afraid of. Praying !

I have always been against covered litter boxes but I considered it because you just never know, but after doing research, everyone says no cover. Who knows, everyone doesn’t have Puck for a cat.

We don’t have anything different to suggest other than what others’ have already said, but one thing about prozac, Zoey has been on it for years and it really hasn’t caused her any major health issues. Also, there are other anti-anxiety meds that can be used that might be better and help. Kitties Blue mentioned one.

11. databbiesotrouttowne

puck….we R sorree dood; while reedin thru all de commintz we R sorree we have nothin else ta offer that wood bee help full; if yur dad haz time; pleez ask him ta google “only natural pet” and look under de health concernz tab… top rite; therz several articlez him can reed for free; frum why ya mite be stressin; ta everee thing in bee tween….. { we iz knot big time bee leeverz in “drugs” but rather homeopathy; sew itz prob a blee knot gonna agreez with what de vet said///sayz…..sorree } st francis’ blessingz two ewe…. ♥♥♥ we hope a solutionz can be found reel quik ♥♥♥

12. angelswhisper2011

Have you tried a Homeopath yet Charles? There might be a remedy/treatment for Puck. It looks like he is very anxious. Healing Pawkisses and purrayers are coming your way❤❤❤

I always try to consider the most natural and holistic treatment possible but that never happens when we bring them to the vet. As far as homeopathic medicine, I don’t understand it enough. I think it has to do with the memory of water but I don’t know.