Floki’s Turn at the Vet

Since we hadn’t spent enough money on Frankie at the vet, we decided to bring Floki there on Friday. He had an 8 a.m. appointment, which gave me enough tome to go there with Rose before I had to leave for work.

He needed to get the second in a three-part series of core vaccinations (tune in again in three weeks for the exciting conclusion). I’m not a big fan of vaccinations for indoor cats because of all the bad side effects that I have read about, but I will accept these. However, after the third set, that’s it. No more.

I saw in interesting video this morning that talked about vaccination being good for life in most cases (although I only made it through the first twenty minutes). Essentially, annual booster shots are not only unnecessary, they add to your pet’s toxic load. The vet being interviewed, Dr. Ronald Schultz, said you should wait a minimum of 3-4 years, if ever, to get a booster shot, unless, of course, you worry about local antiquated regulations (those are my words).

When we got to the vet Rose noticed a sign that said “Dogs will accept you as boss, cats want to sIMG_20160722_075236_1 Flokiee your resume.” How true is that?

I felt bad that Floki shut in the carrier so I let him out in the waiting room. Once out, he climbed on my shoulders, which is something he has never done before. When they called us into the examination room, I just carried him in there on my shoulders.

Kitten Floki on my shoulders

He stuck with me for a long time. I assumed he would be ready to go exploring. He is a kitten after all. If that was Chris, he would be exploring every nook and cranny of that room.

Kitten Floki on my shoulders

Kitten Floki on my shoulders

Kitten Floki with vet tech.

The vet tech came in and looked Floki over, which he was not happy about, before taking him in the back where they have their secret laboratory. When she brought him back he was up on my shoulders again.

Kitten Floki on my sholders

Rose and I were both away at work the rest of the day and as soon as I got home we had to leave again to meet Rose’s sister and her family for dinner. It was her last day here before returning to Massachusetts.

When we finally got home around 9 p.m., Rose wanted to sit down with Floki on her lap but Floki wasn’t interested. In fact, he didn’t look well. I have heard that vaccines could cause some problems so we hoped that he would be better after a good night’s sleep, but this morning he still seemed lethargic.

Normally, I feed that cats in the morning, but Rose couldn’t sleep and got up early and fed them. I didn’t know it until later but she opened up another can of food because Floki was eating like a pig.

About 9:30 this morning, Floki’s vet’s office called and I said he has been a bit lethargic. She asked if he ate and I told her he had. She then put me on hold and came back and said the vet would like to see him to check his temperature. I didn’t want to spend another $100 to have his temperature checked so I said I would talk to my wife. She then told me about how much Floki ate this morning so I called the vet back and said that he was eating fine and I was going to keep him home unless he got worse.

Now all I can do is hope he doesn’t get worse.

41 thoughts on “Floki’s Turn at the Vet

1. easyweimaraner

I cross my paws that everything is ok with your youngster :o) must laugh at the way you brought him to examination room… like a pirate captain with a parrot … what a fearless little guy he is :o)

2. Spence's Girl

My cats had to get their shots in order to go to the kitty hotel and were really off that night and the following day, uninterested in food. This seems to be typical as I’d recalled it happening in the past. Hope Floki is now back to feeling like a frisky kitten soon!

1. elizabetcetera

Dear Loki … (and I just realized I’ve been calling your cat Fioki, I think … why I don’t know. Sorry. How did I make THAT faux paw?)

Get better soon!

❤ Elizabetcetera

3. Fozziemum

I have been awol as i am wearing a well worn path to the vets..but Floki is gorgeous and congrats on the new addition to the family. I think we have paid for our vets to get a new wing this year..ugh..our vets also say that vacc overload is a problem and that really after a certain age they are unneccesary..we only vacc for boarding now…luckily we have no rabies in the country so bonus there!

4. Cody-Cat Chat (@CatChatCaren)

I hate vaccines but I do them. How many did Floki have at once? I didn’t see that. A few years ago I made the mistake of doubling up Cody’s vaccines (did two together) and I will NEVER, EVER do that again. He became quite ill. That being said, when he has even one vaccine at a time he is ALWAYS lethargic after it but in about 24 hrs he is fine catchatwithcarenandcody

Sam is always a bit lethargic and “out of sorts” for at least 24 hours after any kind of shot……….hopefully Floki is just having a bit of a time recovering from the whole experience of being at the vet again.

If it’s a reaction to the vaccines, he should recover in a day or so – Binga doesn’t react well to vaccines. But tell the vet because they might have an alternative mixture they can give him… although I’m not sure if it’s the same deal for kittens as it is for boosters (my human doesn’t do boosters for Binga and Boodie regularly, but they have had a couple in their long lives). I love that Floki is a shoulder cat! How fun if he continues that behavior back at home.

7. Mary McNeil

Hoping all your furkids get WELL. Some of my cats are lethargic after a vacc. Hopefully that’s all it is. Eating (and keeping it down) is a good sign !

Wally has had a reaction to a vaccination and was a bit punkish afterwards, but he came around after a day or so. If Floki is eating, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Now when Wally gets that vaccination, the vet gives him a pre-med so he won’t have a problem. But I only get them vaccinated about every 3 years or so…Wally went for about 4 years. Though rabies they get every year because it’s the law (and my vet only does the yearly vaccination, not the every 3 year one). Interestingly, my vet never takes the cats into the back room to give them a shot. She does it in the exam room with me right there. Hope Floki is back to normal by now…he’s very cute. ~Island Cat Mom

Floki is playing now so that is a relief. As far as the back room goes, the vet tech brought him back there probably to weigh him and take his temperature. Not sure why they don’t have a scale in the exam room.

Poor kitty, I hope he feels better soon. I do the first shots and then only rabies every 3 years and only because it is the law. If you and Rose are ever in Massachusetts to visit her sister, we will have to meet.

10. Carole

Floki looks very happy on your shoulders. It’s amazing how many cats like to do that. I’m glad to see he’s recovered from the latest vet visit. I think half of it is the stress, not just the effect of the vaccinations.
    We don’t have as many vaccinations in the UK. The kittens get two trips initially and then one visit per year for a booster. No rabies as we still don’t have it here, luckily.

You are lucky there. Vaccinations are crazy here in the U.S. especially with human children. They get 69 doses of 16 vaccines by age 18 and we have more people sick than ever before. It is less about disease prevention and more about profit for the drug companies that grease the pockets of our politicians.

1. Carole

You’re spot on there. It makes so much more sense to educate and concentrate on prevention through diet, but the big companies continue to sell junk food and big pharma rakes in the profits with all the problems caused by that.

11. Deziz World

Sorry Floki got sick. Mommy says she thinks they’re puttin’ new stuffs in da vaccines, cuz Raena’s gotten really sick both times. She only has one set of cores left too and mommy dreads them. It seems with every series, Raena gets a little sicker each tme and da last set will include da Rabies shot which knock me fur a loop. ‘Course we all know dat da heat also made Raena’s sick be worse, but it’s a shame VETs have to be so stubborn and money hungry ’bout vaccinations. Sendin’ purrayers.

Luv ya’

Dezi and Raena

1. Deziz World

It’s required by law here no matter what. And of course our VETs are all ’bout da money so they won;t make exceptions. And since we’s Service cats and sometimes be outside da home (altho’ we’re totally encased in our stroller) we have to have them.

Luv ya’