Four Sick Cats

Our house has been turned upside-down lately with all the illnesses going around. I don’t know how it started. Frankie has been sneezing for several months. We even took him to the vet for it back in April but he never really got better. I thought it might be an allergy but it persisted through an entire season.

Floki had a slight eye infection when we got him and a day or two later I noticed him sneezing like Frankie. About a week or so after that, Frankie also had an eye infection, but his was worse than Floki’s ever was, at least since he has been with us. If that wasn’t bad enough, Frankie started sneezing more and had snot coming out of his nose.

We brought Frankie to the vet on Friday and they gave him antibiotics and eye medicine. The next morning he still looked bat but now he was sneezing up blood. I am not a fan of antibiotics but since that is what he got we wanted to give it a few days to see if it would start working.

Also during the weekend, Puck developed an eye infection so we started putting Frankie’s eye medication on both Puck and Flokie as well as Frankie. Chris was the only one who seemed unaffected… until yesterday.

Yesterday morning I heard Chris sneeze a couple of times. That was disappointing because Chris is our rock. He rarely gets sick, probably because he has never had antibiotics or steroids. Those things will really mess with your natural immune system.

By last night, Frankie still looked pretty bad.

20160718_Cats_2267 Frankie

My new job is working for a company that makes natural herbal health products. One of the things they sell is colloidal silver. I thought maybe I could pick up a bottle of that and it would be a good natural treatment for not only the eyes but it can also be taken internally to help treat the sneezing.

Unfortunately, things got worse overnight. Frankie spent the entire night sleeping on the rug by the side door. When we got up the next morning, the door was spattered with Frankie’s blood.

20160719_Cats_2268 blood on door

So Rose decided to call the vet when they opened at 7:30 and was able to get an 8:20 appointment. I had a chiropractor appointment so I was not able to go.

Later, Rose told me that “they just filled him with lots of drugs,” or something to that effect. She said they gave him steroids, antibiotics, antihistamine and probably anything else that was profitable for them. She did say Frankie gave them a very hard time when they tried to get a pill in him. Can you blame him?

So far this pat week Frankie has cost us $500 and they want to see both him and Floki on Friday for vaccinations. Rose’s sister says that Floki got some of his shots but not all. I don’t know what he is missing but I would very much prefer that both of them NOT get anymore shots.

When I got home from work, Rose said she was worried about Chris because he was very lethargic all day. He stayed in one spot on the cat tree, never coming down to eat, drink or use the litter box. He did come down when I got home and I tried feeding him wet food but he wasn’t interested. I decided it might do him some good to eat grass so I let him outside for awhile.

He went straight for the grass like I knew he would.

20160719_185022 Chris

I think that revived him a bit because he suddenly became adventurous and went around to the other side of the house.

20160719_190239 Chris

By this time he seemed much more perky an ventured into the neighbor’s carport. That is when I picked him up and brought him home.

By the way, I did buy the colloidal silver but things are complicated with all the medications we have. So we will put Floki’s eye medicine on Floki, Frankies’s medication on Frankie, and Caeser will get what is Caeser’s. Wait… I mean Puck will get the silver, and we shall see what happens.

Related Posts:

Meet Floki, Our Newest Addition

Meet Floki, Part 2

Another Vet Visit For Frankie

Frankie Update

38 thoughts on “Four Sick Cats

1. kittiesblue

We have been through this situation. When you have multiple cats, you can usually expect whatever illness they come down with to spread through the group. It is very important with the eye medicine to only use on the cat for which it was prescribed. If you touch the tip even slightly to the eye or fur sound the eye, you will spread the infection to any other cat you use it on. Sending lots of purrs and prayers and POTP that you can get everyone well. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear this. I can’t help but think that things got bad after bringing Floki in, so whatever he has, has exacerbated things with the others. I don’t think I would have any of the cats get vaccinations while they are still sick. I hope things get better for everyone. ~Island Cat Mom

How awful that everyone has been sick! I’m sending LOTS of purrs to your sick kitties. At least it sounds like Chris is bouncing back – I’m keeping my paws crossed for him.

4. elizabetcetera

I am soooo sorry about all your sick guys. 😦

Is it possible that your cats have Feline Herpesvirus (FH)? The reason I mention that is my black cat had yellow sneezing discharge after recovering from his “kennel cold” and had a residual weepy eye. I was told by the vet he likely had FH. My black cat would go through periods where he would heal and then the eye thing would start again … I thought my little grey cat would be immune, but sure enough he eventually got a mild cold, nasal discharge and one watery eye. So both my cats have this now. 😦 Both cats are fine now.

I’m not sure if it’s worth testing for FH. Here’s one link … perhaps you have read it before:

Cats, poor lovely babies they are, get so stressed sometimes and an illness will flare. I hope all of your kitties get well soon. I couldn’t even bring myself to “like” this post because it makes me sad … especially after such joy with the adoption of Floki.

Remember, cats have “nine lives” and they do rally … so hopefully, there will be energy and playfulness again soon. ❤

I know what you mean about the like button. They shoud do what Facebook did and give you other options. I will check out your link. Thanks for that. I will say that the vet didn’t mention FH in two visits and the second time she said Frankie had pink eye. Of course, vets do a lot of guessing.

5. Me

Oh no 😦 I’d definitely refuse to have any of the kitties vaccinated whilst there’s any sign they are sick, and I’d give it a week after they stopped looking ill at all – vets should *never* vaccinate an ill animal, yet some of them still like to push it *sigh*

I hope everyone gets better soon, especially poor Frankie. Is there any chance of the vets’ surgery you adopted Floki from helping out or giving any advice?

I agree. When they are sick they don’t need more shots. Floki lived at a foster home with other kittens and was brought to a vet a good distance from here to be fixed.

6. easyweimaraner

That was so scary to see the blood… hugs to you and to your furkids…. I hope so much that they all feel better soon… btw: we use the colloidal silver too… it’s great… although the guy of the pharmacy store said it is superstition… yes…because we refused to buy his useless flu-treatment for 60 bucks :o)

1. easyweimaraner

my mother used it as a flu-treatment/prevention … she had a flu but a moderate one… my father got a flu shot and he had 3 weeks from hell with a flu-attack , ha!

7. Mary McNeil

Prayers that everyone gets better ! I pulled 4 cats from a shelter in 2011 and all 4 had feline herpes, which has caused some minor problems off and on (there is a lot of debate on whether lysine does any good for this or not, if you want to google that) and the symptoms do sound similar. Keep up your good research !

So sorry the whole crew now has whatever this is…..how scary to see blood spattered all over the place – you know it’s a BAD infection when it gets to that point. I sure hope you can get someone to properly diagnose this – if it’s some kind of chronic thing you will surely need help from a vet who knows what they’re doing.

Pam and Sam

9. The Swiss Cats

We’re sorry to hear those bad news. We hope that the drugs work and everyone heals nicely. Paws crossed and purrs

10. databbiesotrouttowne

guys….we R sorree….we noe itz ruff on all oh ewe & yur mom & dad az well…..we will ask R total lee awesum pal St Francis two send sum blessings yur way….heerz hopin everee onez feelin mega better…. reel lee soon ~~~~ ♥♥♥

Poor kitties, it sounds like something has spread through the whole house. Do you have any cats in your neighborhood? I am wondering if your cats picked it up when they went outside. I would check with a vat before doing the colidal silver. I am praying they all get well soon.

12. lijiun

Hi! How’s Frankie? Have u try out Vetri DMG? I am feeding my cats daily to boast up their immune system. Check it out! May all your cats be well! Cheers!

Interesting. My new job is working for a company that makes natural herbal products (http://healthfree.com) and I have learned about some of the herbs that are considered adaptogens, which help us cope with stress. Dimethylglycine (DMG) gets it from beans and liver.

1. lijiun

Hi! For the eyes infection, you can try to use sovereign silver water to wipe their eyes. We’ve tried on our cats, it’s effective. Thanks!

You are preaching to the choir. :). My company sells Colloidal silver water so I bought a bottle a few of days ago and have been using it on Chris and Puck.

13. Juliea

That’s so scary when they sneeze blood. One of my cats had that and they determined he was poisoned and had to be put to sleep. I also had a pet rat who had that and died and I got very sick too. I determined that this was when I had leaky gutters on my house and I got sick at the same time from mold in my basement bedroom. I now have peripheral neuropathy which causes extreme nerve pain throughout my body on a regular basis. Make sure it’s not mold or some other chemical or toxin you have around your home. Remember that many, if not all, cleansers are full of toxins and are poisonous to you and your pets. They may not affect you as much as these little creatures with their bodies so close to the floor. Try to use more natural cleansers and soaps to clean.

I am so sorry about your pets and I hope you are okay. I pretty sure we don’t have mold and I try to use non-toxic chemicals, like vinegar, whenever I can and the cats get bottled water. I even make my own toothpaste and hair gel (my wife thinks I’m weird). We do have a cleaning person and I don’t know what she uses.