Another Vet Visit For Frankie

When we adopted our kitten, Floki, on the fourth of July, he had a slight problem with his eye. Along with the kitten, we received a tube of ointment that we had to put in his eye several times a day. Not exactly a good start in the bonding process.

Meanwhile, Frankie had a sneezing problem. It’s not a new problem. We brought him to the vet in February and the said it was a respiratory infection and gave him the standard steroids and antibiotics that all vets give for all problems (read about it here). Not long after we brought the kitten home we noticed that he would sneeze once in a while. We weren’t sure if he caught the problem from Frankie or if he already had it.

On Wednesday, maybe Thursday morning, we noticed Frankie seemed to have the same problem with his eye as Flokie did, although by then Flokie was almost better. I called vet that Frankie went to for his Urinary Track Infection but they could not get him in until late Monday. Since I was at work, I texted Rose the information and their phone number but did not hear back from her about it.

By Thursday evening, Frankie’s eye was worse and his sneezing attacks were also more frequent so I left a message with his other vet, the one that didn’t cure his sneezing problem, and was able to get him an appointment at 8:40 on Friday morning.

Since I had to go to work, Rose followed me to the vet, which is very close to our house. We got there around 8:30 and they ushered us into an exam room. Once inside I opened Frankie’s carrier but he was hesitant to come out. I think the sound at the end of the video below is the door opening, which is why the video is so short.

Frankie refused to come out for the vet tech so we had to take the top of the carrier off.

our cat Frankie at vet with eye infectionShe carried him into the back room to get his weight and conduct super-secret experiments on him before bring him back. He quickly settled back into his carrier where, I suppose, he felt most comfortable.

our cat Frankie at vet with eye infection

A few minutes later the vet walked in and Frankie immediately hissed at her. I’m not sure why but maybe he remembered her from his last visit, or it could be she did something to him minutes before behind closed doors.

She mentioned something about his eye infection possibly being from herpes or a few other things I don’t remember. I also heard the word “ulcer.” She put some kind of dye in his eye to better see any scratches, which she did find one.

At that point it was 9:00 and I had to leave for work. When I got home it seemed that Rose didn’t have a clear idea what was wrong with him. Some kind of infection, which we already knew. She said he got a shot of antibiotics (shocking) and antibiotic eye drops as well as pain relieving ointment that we have to put in his eye several times a day.

This morning his eye seemed the same and his sneezing was worse because now there was drops of blood everywhere. Of course, I didn’t expect him to get better overnight.

img_20160716_150823.jpg

Here is Frankie after 3 p.m. this afternoon.

I just don’t like that our cats get antibiotics, steroids and who knows what else every time they go to the vet. Those antibiotics have got to wreck havoc on their digestive systems. That is probably why Frankie is so susceptible to illness. They solve a problem in the short term but create long term health issues.

Chris is our oldest and fattest cat and has never been to the vet for a health related issue (knock on wood). He has been vaccinated a couple of times because it was mandatory for residence in a couple of places that we moved in to, but he never received an antibiotic, steroid, or anything else for that matter. Hmmm… I wonder why Chris is not sneezing?

I like and respect veterinarians and I think sometimes their services are invaluable, but other times I wonder why I keep going. What do you think? Am I being unfair to vets?

23 thoughts on “Another Vet Visit For Frankie

My human is not a big fan of the whole steroids/antibiotics routine either. I hope Frankie feels better soon – that eye looks really painful!

2. Cody-Cat Chat (@CatChatCaren)

I feel so bad for Frankie. My Bobo never had steroids and rarely had antibiotics (he was an unusually healthy cat like Chris), but Cody has been on steroids (for allergies) a few times a year since he was maybe 2 or so? (He is now 9)…thankfully he has also been on antibiotics a few times but has only needed them if his allergies got out of hand (oozing)…….he never developed any other illnesses from them (knock on wood). I have complete faith in my Vet, he will always shorten his round of Pred if possible and only uses that or antibiotics if absolutely necessary. Hope Frankie is feeling better soon.

3. Deziz World

MOL Funny you8 should write this now. Mommy believes dat a kitten should have their core vaccines on schedule, and then no more. We do have to have da rabies shot cuz of da law where we live. Ifin we didn’t have to prove it, we wouldn’t get it either after da furst. Anyways, we don’t think your bein’ hard on VETs or dat you’s thinkin’ is all dat off. After all, doctors don;t like to give us humans antibiotics too offen. And ifin nopawdy’s gettin’ better, it may very well be a viral infection. In which case, it wontt respawnd to antibiotics. Raena has a eye and nose/sneezy purroblem, and mommy be givin’ her Viralys fur it. She’s doin’ much better. Ifin you’s wanna try it and wanna know da dosage you can let us know. Good luck and sendin’ purrayers.

Luv ya’

Dezi and Raena

Thank you. Right now I would like to see if his immune system can do the job without interference. When he is better, I need to work on making my own cat food for long term health.

His poor eye does look bad. I agree that vets are too quick with antibiotics and steroids. I hope the meds do improve Frankie’s eye.

5. Photofinland by Rantasalot

Poor Frankie, his eye looks bad, we hope he will get better soon and get his appetite back. We have had some really bad vets, one always said that it is better now to euthanize the cat, we always said no thank you, one had our cat on the table when her phone rang and she talked half an hour nonsense with her friend. One was a very good actor, our cat bite him to a finger and he made a show like being crushed by a car. We have met really good ones too.

Well, they are doctors and that’s how they have been trained to treat. So it doesn’t surprise me that they first turn to antibiotics. Though using steroids to treat a URI doesn’t make any sense to me at all. I’m not a big fan of medicating my cats at the drop of hat, but if it’s necessary, I will do it. My vet is pretty careful not to over-prescribe steroids because of the long term affects it can have. I hope Frankie’s eye is better soon. ~Island Cat Mom

7. Me

I unfortunately do not trust vets at all. We have a great vet now, but I still don’t trust the info she gives out about medications, vaccinations etc, as she can only pass on what she’s been taught, which is usually not too reliable.

I’ve done a ton of research about vaccinations (mainly for dogs as we’ve had dogs longer, and there’s more information out there, but recently I’ve researched a decent amount for cats too) and am disgusted that vets still say yearly booster jabs are needed.

Everything points that boosters should be done on no more than a 3 yearly basis, with many studies showing that one vaccinations lasts for a minimum of seven years, if not life. For dogs we get them puppy shots, then no more, and for our cats we’ve decided no vaccinations at all…it seems side effects are worse and way more common in cats.

As for anti-biotics, several times we’ve had a vet stumped by a pets’ illness (from our dogs to guinea pigs) so they just prescribe anti-biotics.

The worst was when our Collie was 10 months old and repeatedly vomiting in the mornings, so we took him to the vets. The vet we saw said he didn’t know what was wrong, but gave our dog three injections (I was a newbie owner and knew no better); I asked what they were: one was anti-nausea, one was an anti-biotic, and he didn’t know what the other was!!!!! I later found out our dog was sick due to hunger pukes, which another dog owner mentioned. Very common in young and skinny dogs (both of which he was) and cured by feeding a small meal very early morning. We started doing that and he never did it again, yet the vet couldn’t figure that out and gave him three random injections?!

Anyway, rant over! Sorry for waffling and I hope Frankie’s eye gets better soon, poor love.

Thank you and I feel like ranting about it sometimes. I recently read that the viruses used in a certain feline vaccination are cultured in actual feline kidney cells. Those cells get into the vaccine causing the cat’s immune system to attack kidney cells. Apparently, that is why UTIs are common in cats.

8. easyweimaraner

I’m with you… sometimes it happens that vets fire with canons at sparrows, but if it is really important I accept anti-pee-otic and steroid bombs… POTP and all our good wishes for Frankies eye, we hope for a speedy recovery :o)

Oh poor Frankie – that eye just looks awful……we’re hoping that the meds kick in and help – you can tell he’s miserable. I’m sure you and Rose are miserable about it as well! Maybe it’s time for a new vet? Some really seem to have their act together and don’t just prescribe any old thing (or the “usual” thing) – not that your vet did that but you know what we mean! We hope Frankie has no permanent damage to that poor eye – and that he’s better by now.

Pam (and Sam)

10. Carole

Oh poor Frankie. That looks really sore.
    We’re lucky with our vet that she’s really caring and treats the problem at hand rather than flinging random drugs at the cat. I agree that the fewer drugs the better, whether for people or pets.

Thank you Carole. With people, it is often an downward spiral after the first medication. The side effects cause a need for another and then another and so on.

11. The Swiss Cats

Poor Frankie ! That eye looks painful. We send her tons of healing purrs and hope the drugs work. Purrs