Chris the Destroyer

Sleeping used to be difficult with an annoying cat around. Chris would keep us up at night, especially me, by biting my nose and digging his claws into my neck and back. We tried closing him out of the bedroom but he would go through great lengths to get us to open the door, including digging up the carpet. Since we no longer have carpet at the door, sleeping has been easier. We still put up with him crying at 4:00 a.m. but that is nothing compared to what we used to go through.

Unfortunately, our new home has doors that are not made using the highest of quality standards, so since Chris couldn’t dig down and destroy the carpet, he started digging up to destroy the door.

20160323_cats_3918

We decided to replace the door, along with the bathroom door, and put in something a little better. I’m not exactly a handyman and every project seems to come with complications, this was no different. Nothing on the new doors fit or lined up with the old doors but I eventually got them in and working.

Cat Frankie with new doors

Early the next morning I hear Chris whining and scratching at the door. I think to myself “he is going to ruin our new door” and I consider opening the door to get him to stop, but then I realized that I can’t let him win. I decided this would be a good test, so I went back to sleep. The next morning the door was still in one piece so chalk one up for team human.

24 thoughts on “Chris the Destroyer

1. kittiesblue

We saw the first photo over on Twitter and had to check out the post. Giulietta and Fiona are our door scratchers and whiners. That’s why the humans have no room in their bed at night. Right now there are six camping out with and on top of them. Good luck with the new doors. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

Before Chris came along, our biggest problem was having four cats lined up along side of me, leaving no room to stretch out. Now, since Chris can’t just sleep, we have to close the door and keep them all out.

2. elizabetcetera

Awwww … Chris just wants to play with dad. Serioulsy. You gotta play all the energy of that furry beast and he’ll calm down. Being that he bites your nose and picks on you, he has chose YOU as his “buddy cat”. You’ve got some time on your hands … get the energy expended out from Mr. Chris! And also cut back his crack rations while you’re at it! 😉

Sam just stands at our door and whines until I get up – yes he has me well-trained. We tried just letting him in knowing he can’t hop up on our bed any longer as he’s too old BUT he goes under the bed and whines. It’s a no win situation so I just get up with him anywhere from 2AM to 4AM every morning. YAWN.

pam

4. Carole

Frodo and Sam sleep on the bed and they do take up quite a bit of room, but they do let me sleep. At least until daybreak when Frodo starts chattering away at me until I get up to feed him.

You are lucky. I don’t mind having Puck or Frankie on the bed, and even Chris is good sometimes, but mostly he doesn’t sleep and spends his his keeping me from sleeping.

5. Rantasalot

Chris is a hardworking cat and only because he loves his humans :-). We have had destroyers too, that couple destroyed walls behind the sofa, the sofa, walls everywhere were it was possible. And they were very clever cats both!

Could you put some aluminum foil at the bottom of the door. I read that cats don’t like that so they won’t touch it- of course, Chris is different and would probably enjoy it.