I’m Not Ready to Go Inside Yet

It happens every time. Whenever it is time for Chris to come inside, he gives me a run for my money. I suppose I can’t blame him. When I let him out I have to watch him and I rarely have the time to just hang out and babysit a grown cat.

Lately, Chris has been the only one allowed outside. Frankie turned out to be a runner so it is not safe to let him out. He’s been out twice and both time we had to chase him through the neighborhood to get him back. I’m afraid we will lose him if it happens again. Puck likes to go outside and he generally stays close but sometimes he gets nervous and wants to go back in right away so I don’t feel bad leaving him inside.

Chris makes getting out the door his mission in life. I often let him out just because it is easier than trying to stop it. For example, if I have a lot of groceries to bring in I let him out so I don’t have to fight with him on every trip. Sometimes I don’t let him out but he slips past me anyway. In either case, I usually give him a few minutes and then try to retrieve him and bring him back inside.

That is when he gives me the most trouble. He knows when I am ready and he goes out of his way to avoid me. I think that is also when he starts looking for a lizard because he doesn’t want to go back in empty-handed (or empty-pawed).

Here is a recent attempt of me trying to get Chris to come inside.

23 thoughts on “I’m Not Ready to Go Inside Yet

1. Cody-Cat Chat (@CatChatCaren)

Awwww so adorable! Loved how he was ignoring you so nonchalantly and then the little meows when you picked him up…he sure didn’t want to go in! Loved how you said “C’mon, they are waiting for you” so sweet. Your red door is great too! 🙂

Chris is not shy about letting me know when he is unhappy. I like the red door too. Recently the landlord made some improvements to the property. He is probably trying to sell it.

Sam was like that in his younger days……these days the “old folks” go out together with him on a harness taking ME for a walk! They love making us chase them or sneaking out of the door – it’s all a BIG game for them. Not quite as much fun for US tough as for THEM!

3. Traveling Cats

When they don’t want to come in, the best is usually to just pretend you don’t care and close the door behind them. When they’re afraid to be left outside, they often come back home immediately 😉

Chris doesn’t care if I am watching him or not. He will stay out there until he is hot or thirsty or both. He once got out without me noticing him when I went for a bike ride. 90 minutes later, when I returned, he was at the door crying and panting and desperately wanting to go inside.

4. Cathy Keisha

Maybe he needs a leash. TW would be nervous with me outside. Nicky used to go out but after a bite on his foot got infected, she never let him out again. Was it hard keeping him in despite his protests? Yes. Was it worth it? YES! All in all, since the video is under 2 minutes, it didn’t take too long.

Chris is usually out for five minutes or less. I don’t worry about him because he doesn’t usually wander far in that five minutes. He is more interested in eating grass and chasing lizards. Frankie takes off in a straight line, more or less, and is almost impossible to catch. I needed Rose’s assistance both times he got out.

5. colleen

Chuck… like me, you need a fish net ! My newest girl just runs – the ‘come for a treat/dinner/breakfast’ trick is getting old fast. she is starting to trust – if i go in and sit down, she will come in but not happy IN. Whitey I can usually get but he growls to get back out! Do you have coyotes down there?

Sounds like you got a handful Coleen. I have heard there are coyotes but never seen one. I did see a bobcat once. We live on a very small island that is all developed so I don’t have to worry about wild animals but I do worry about cars so I try not to let Chris out of my sight.

6. fozziemum

Hahaahah may I suggest a great thing to keep by the door..a dangly toy lizard on a string…start a dangling and then swoop!;) dang cats..human eluding is an Olympic sport! hugs Fozziemum

That might work but Chris gets wise to new methods of behavior control quite quickly and adjusts he behavior to compensate. I’ve just learned to accept what I can’t control. 🙂