Wysong Epigen 90 Pet Food

I have changed our cats food again. I keep discovering undesirable things about their dry kibble food and then switch to something that I think is better, only to discover that is not so good either.

I have known for at least five years that kibble is bad for them. I tried to switch them to a raw food diet and started buying frozen raw cat food but they didn’t like it. Chris was the only one who would eat it and even he was not impressed. I started mixing it with canned food and that worked until I tried to go beyond a 50/50 ratio and then they didn’t eat it. I experimented with different canned foods but it seemed that the worst quality canned foods had the best results which just seemed to work against what I was doing so I eventually gave up.

I did start feeding them more wet cat food though, eventually settling on Earthborn Holistic Chicken Catcciatori and other flavors. I give our three cats one 5.5 ounce can in the morning and another in the evening. On weekends or when Rose works from home they get a third can.

I have wanted to get rid of the dry food for a few years now and just give them wet food but Chris won’t eat the wet food. He has become addicted to the dry. I made this video two years ago,  It shows how Chris will eat very little of his food before abandoning it or allowing another cat to take it. He hasn’t changed since then. He may even be worse.

I still put dry food out for the cats, mostly so Chris won’t starve but I have been only putting small amounts in the bowls and I allow them to remain empty for a fair amount of time before I feed them wet food. My hope is that Chris will be hungry and eat more wet food but that never seems to make a difference. Lately I have been putting even less dry food in their bowls but still Chris won’t eat the wet food.

I recently started working for a company that makes herbal health products. I commented to one of the owners that one of their products might help my cat (Puck) with his skin condition. He said I should look up a Dr. Will Falconer, which I did. Dr. Falconer has several good articles on his website, most of them confirming what I already knew and some expanding beyond my knowledge.

For example, he says cats should never have dry food. This I mostly knew but he makes you realize how important it is. He talks about how a dogs tongue can curve like a spoon and lap up lots of water but cats can’t do that. They are designed to get most of their moisture from their prey, which is 80 – 90 percent water, but now eat kibble that is 10 percent water.

Another problem with dry pet food is that they all contain starch. Even a food that is grain free contains loads of starch. It is the glue they use to hold the pieces together and it is not good for your pet. Dr. Falconer recommends Wysong for dogs because it is starch-free, among other reasons. I read that it was the only starch-free, dry pet food on the market but I don’t remember where I read it.

Even though he doesn’t recommend it for cats, I picked up a bag anyway. I figured I would try to give them the healthiest food available until I can transition them off the dry food. I purchased a five pound bag of Wysong Epigen 90 for dogs and cats. Yes, this food is for both dogs and cats. That is the first time I ever saw that so it must be different.

All of our cats seemed to like the taste of the new food, so that is a start.

This is certainly not an advertisement for Wysong, nor did I get any free products but do have an affiliate account with Amazon so if you purchase anything through my link I will get a small commission (very small).  I will say that I noticed some bad reviews on the product from 2014 that were related to a change in the formula but since then all reviews have been good so I assumed any problems have been addressed. The problems at that time seemed to be intestinal related, like diarrhea, hopefully that won’t be an issue now.

My ultimate goal is to start making my own raw cat food. I need to get a good meat grinder but before I do that I need a good source of quality meats and organs that I can’t find near me. I don’t want to give them raw meat from a sick, industrial animal. There are some places that sell organic meats but I also need things like heart and liver which they don’t sell. If anyone has any ideas or comments, please enrich me.

28 thoughts on “Wysong Epigen 90 Pet Food

It’s funny you mention that because I have Stella and Chewy’s frozen dinner in the freezer. I gave up on mixing it but I can sometimes get them to eat it if I give them little morsels like a treat. Puck is the most receptive to that. I also give them raw, freeze-dried food for a treat. Sometimes it is Stella and Chewey’s but now it is Instinct Raw.

1. Fozziemum

The girls eat raw meat here with no real issues combined with tinned or alone..and a small amount of kibble..exception being Dinnermintz who has almost no kibble or tinned due to issues with her bladder..the balancing act is always hard..as for Doc..well he and also Forrest before he left us eats raw meat cooked veggies including purple and orange carrots,beans,pumpkin,sweetpotato,broccoli etc..and also crumbled up seaweed..no kibble but pasta or rice..it is hard..but we seem to have a routine..so far so good 🙂

2. Lorna

I only have a Labrador now so feeding isnt an issue. When I had my cat she ate canned and raw, mainly fish and offal. I used to go to the food market to get their food and then freeze. My dog does well from the supermarket now. Have you read this site? http://rawfed.com/myths/cats.html
    I hope you can find offal to source and can get your cats to eat more raw.

That’s great that they all liked it! I’m always suspicious of food that says it is for both cats and dogs, since cats and dogs are distinctly different dietary needs. But it’s a start. Sounds like your guys are way pickier than we are! We’ve rarely met a food we did not like.

I tried raw food too…the kind you can purchase at the store and only Ernie will eat it. I try to feed them a good quality wet food but Wally still insists on having dry food. So I do give him a little bit mixed in with his wet. One day I’d like to stop with the dry food, but I don’t see that happening…and as long as they are eating mostly wet, I guess that’s okay.

5. Robin

Changing foods is always difficult with kitties. It took me about a year to get Cinco and Manna to switch from dry food to wet food. I have noticed differences in Manna’s health (and even in Cinco’s before he passed away) since the change to wet food. It was worth it. Manna’s favorites are Weruva’s “Chicken Frick-a-Zee” and Tiki Cat’s “Chicken Consomme with Egg”.

I needed to buy wet food after work today but I forgot to go to the store that sells it so I just went to Petsmart and bought Blue Buffalo Healthy Gourmet. They ate most of it but usually they clean the bowls.

I am guilty of giving KaTwo dry food because she refuses the canned one, Joanie gets it too because she throws up any kind of canned one. I haven’t made the jump to raw because of the cost and laziness- it would be a lot of work to make for 13 cats and to switch them over. I am surprised the food you have is for dogs and cats. Does it have Taurine in it? I know cats need that, but I don’t think dogs do.

It does have taurine in it. I think dogs have a wider variety of choices of what they could eat so I would think if you put in more meat and less vegetables, like a cat should eat, dogs would be fine with it. I also have trouble juggling the diets of three cats, 13 would be a full time job.

7. Deziz World

We tried da Wysong line as well when mommy switched me from kibble to raw. Altho’ me didn’t get any of their kibble, we hear it’s really good. Mommy went straight fur their freeze dried noms which me luvved. And me was a dedicated kibble only, and one kinda kibble at dat girl, so ya’ might try switchin’ usin’ da freeze dried raw as a transition choice. You can feed it dry or add water to it. Mommy chose da Primal line in da end fur price and size. Good luck.

Luv ya’

Dezi and Raena

Thanks. They get freeze dried for treats but I think it is too expensive to use as regular food but I could be wrong. I’ll have to do the math.

1. Deziz World

Mommy was spendin’ as much on canned food and since she wants us to go raw, she decided to take da plunge. She feeds 1 bar of Primal freeze dried and supplements with Stella and Chewy’s freeze dried duck, duck, goose cuz dat’s da one me likes, and it comes out to be ’bout da same as when me ate kibble and cans.

Luv ya’

Dezi and Raena

8. Sometimes Cats Herd You

We have two on raw and Pierre on the “whatever he’ll eat” plan. So we know how that goes with one stubborn cat!

As far as finding sources for raw meats, I buy raw chicken thighs and livers at Whole Foods and the resulting cat food is still less expensive than all but the cheapest canned foods. Do I remember correctly that you’re in Florida like we are? We have a local butcher that caters to the Latino population here where I’ve bought both chicken hearts and livers. Maybe you have something like that near you, too?

9. Lawrence J. Gilman

One thing you have to watch for in wet food is the ash content. Anything above 3% is bad for cats. It causes kidney problems in cats. I think if you look on the internet you should be able to find a solution to your problem.